Investigators: Corsetti made up fire story | News
WINDHAM, Maine (AP) - Investigators say they think a man who said he was attacked, tied up, and left in the burning apartment building he owns in Windham concocted an elaborate hoax.
PHOTO GALLERY: Structure fire in Windham
Investigators with the state Fire Marshal's Office have not charged 66-year-old Donato Corsetti, but say in court papers they believe he set the fire himself to collect on an insurance policy.
Corsetti, who also owns a market next door, told investigators he was showing an apartment to two men who jumped, him, tied him up and set the Dec. 7 fire. Corsetti told police an organized crime group from Rhode Island was trying to scare him.
Investigators said he kept changing his story.
Investigators say the apartment and Corsetti's home had been foreclosed on.
Corsetti refused comment when reached by The Portland Press Herald.
Upcoming Events near Windham
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Waste managers are seeking ways to capitalize on organic waste and keep it out of landfills.
- Freeport Flag Lady recovering from surgery
- Comedian Bob Marley to perform at Falmouth High School
- Crabs & climate change pose threat to Maine shellfish
- Habitat For Humanity chapter celebrates largest project to date