Keeping Your Home Safe During The Holidays | Blogs

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Keeping Your Home Safe During The Holidays
Blogs, Home & Garden
Keeping Your Home Safe During The Holidays

I think we have all seen this video. We tend to get all caught up in parties and shopping and everything else that comes with the holidays and forget to be safe. Here are a few tips to keep your holiday and winter a bit more safe and happy for all!

If you choose to purchase an artificial tree, look for the label “Fire Resistant.” Although this label does not mean the tree won’t catch fire, it does indicate the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly. If you decide on a real tree, water it MORNING and NIGHT! A dry tree can burn MUCH faster than a hydrated tree if it were to ever catch fire. Those little Italian Twinkle Lights can heat up QUICK! Just think, every time you brush your teeth, give your tree a little water.


Indoors or outdoor, consider using lights that have been tested for safety by a recognized testing laboratory, which indicates conformance with safety standards. Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, loose connections and throw out damaged sets. Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.


Use only non-combustible or flame-resistant materials to decorate your tree. Choose tinsel or artificial icicles of plastic or non leaded metals. Leaded materials are hazardous if ingested by children. Doesn’t eveyone’s tree look better trimmed with homemade ornaments and strings of popcorn or cranberry anyways?

Wood stove / Fireplace:

During the colder months, we tend to use our fire places a lot more. Here are a few
tips to help you keep your chimney and fire place clean and in tip top condition to prevent injury or a chimney fire.

- Have the chimney inspected annually by a professional chimney sweep. If you use your fire place on a regular basis, you should also have it cleaned. This will help prevent chimney fires.

- Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate ANY fire in your fire place.

- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening to prevent embers or sparks from jumping out, unwanted material from going in and to help prevent the possibility of burns. Last thing you want is to have to go to the hospital for a burn during the holidays!

Smoke/ Carbon monoxide detectors:

There are two basic types of devices based upon different smoke detection technologies, photoelectric and ionization. Because you cannot predict what type of fire might occur in your home, it is best to purchase both types or to purchase a device containing both sensors.

Carbon monoxide detectors work in a similar way to smoke detectors by monitoring
carbon monoxide levels in your home and sounding an alarm if elevated levels
are detected.

For both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, follow the manufacturer’s instruction
sheet to help you install, operate and maintain your devices. Keep these instructions handy so you can use it as a reference if you have questions in the future. As always, make sure you change the batteries in both of these devices when you set your clocks ahead and behind.

Power Loss

With winter storms comes power loss. Heavy snow can weigh down powers lines or cause them to cut loose. DO NOT TOUCH ANY wire or try to remove the snow from low hanging wires. Call your local power company and make them aware of all down or
low wires.

Be prepared if you lose power. Have plenty of batteries on hand and wood for your
fire place if you have one. If you light candles for more illumination, please
do not leave them unattended. According to the U.S Fire Administration, over
15,000 home fires are caused by candles each year. These are typically caused by
human era and are VERY preventable.

For more blogs by April, please visit

We hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday season!



Blogs, Home & Garden

Windham Businesses